Tuesday, May 04, 2010

BIG NEWS!


home, originally uploaded by mudpig.

Like my blog header states, it's been a dream of mine to work at a fashion magazine. Well, this year I decided to do something about it and applied to several summer publishing programs. For the past three weeks, I was stuck on the waiting list for NYU's Summer Publishing Institute, everyday checking my email and dreading a rejection letter, but finally - last Thursday - I GOT IN! I am so excited to be making my move to NYC and starting my career in publishing - and extremely nervous about the economic climate's impact on the industry.

Those of you who may have been closely following my blog know that I'm no good at shopping bans or saving money. Now I totally regret buying those Dieppa Restrepo shoes! To prepare for the big move, I've listed tons of my clothes on eBay and am closely pinching my pennies, saving every last cent from my tutoring gig. I have a month to raise funds quick! Any ideas?

9 comments:

Anjali said...

Oh my gosh, no advice here, but congratulations!! That is a huge deal, and I wish you all sorts of success! :)

phyllis said...

I am so happy for you!!! yay!!!
sorry I haven't had time to contact you in a while, but it's been so busy! I have to catch you up on my weekend!!!
I'm so excited for you!!! will totally come visit you in NYC!!!

L. Susan said...

Hey, nice to "meet" you too! I guess we'll be seeing each other soon in New York. As for scrounging up some money...sell all your stuff and take out a loan.

L. Susan said...

oh, uh my blog is no last call for cake, btw.

amy kelinda said...

CONGRATS!!! That's so amazing! I would love to work in a fashion magazine too, so I am SUPER JEALOUS because I know how tough that industry is to break into! It's awesome that you are getting this wonderful opportunity! As for raising funds, you're already doing what I would have done – selling a bunch of stuff! So uh… unfortunately, I have no other advice…

Pakcola said...

awesome! My cousin is just finishing up her masters in publishing at NYU, you'll have a great/crazy time!

Sarah Klassen said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Christina! This is such amazing news! I can't wait to hear more about it...and follow your adventures! When you get there, have a slice of cake at Cafe Lalo's, would you? It's divine!

xoxo

la petite fashionista said...

CONGRATS dear!! that is so so exciting :) as for quick ways to make some money, have a garage sale maybe?

xoxo

Anya said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll have so much fun!!!!!!!

Take me with you!!