Friday, October 16, 2009

A Photographic Diary of My Trip: Paris and Versailles

I took the train from London to Paris the day after my program ended and met up with friends in Paris.

The Arc de Triomphe

The Eiffel sparkles at night

The Louvre

Winged Victory of Samothrace - you MUST see this in person!

I wish I had taken pictures of the underground level - you could see the remains of the foundation of the Louvre, which was originally a fortress! I loved being down there, it was cool and dark and it felt like some kind of secret passageway.


I took a day trip to the Palace of Versailles. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a great picture of the front of the Palace of Versailles - it is very wide, and my pictures really don't do justice to how spectacular the exterior of the entrance looks in person. And the golden front gate pretty much blocked the view, too.




Gardens just outside the palace

From the rear of the palace, you can see the fountains and the lake

The gardens of Versailles are beautiful and my favorite part of the day trip - you just want to get lost in them. The grounds of Versailles are expansive, and its quite a walk from the Palace to the Trianons. On the way, my friends and I stopped by a sunflower garden and several quaint hamlets. There are also these sculptural hedge gardens by the lake, where you can find hidden eateries.



And finally we visited the Grand and the Petit Trianon. The Petit Trianon was kind of disappointing - sparsely decorated and very tiny - but the Grand Trianon went beyond my expectations. I actually thought it was more beautiful than the Palace.



The furniture at the Grand Trianon was AMAZING! There were so many beautiful fabrics and wallpaper, and the furniture looked incredibly luxurious and ornate.

My favorite room, the perfect shade of lemony yellow

1 comment:

Sarah Klassen said...

Beautiful is an understatement! I went to France last year, but I didn't make it to Versailles -- these images make me want to go back + visit. I will be sure to see Versailles next time -- these rooms are gorgeous!